:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Monday, August 25, 2008

Ghana.


There is so much to say about my amazing service trip to Ghana. I can't sum it up into words properly so instead of trying, I'll just share one of my journal entries to give a bit of insight about my time in Africa. It's from Wednesday, August 20:

"I think my life changed a little bit today. I got to spend all afternoon and almost the entire evening with Pam and I am just so inspired by her story. She is just so logical and level-headed yet so ambitious, spontaneous and brave. She is amazingly strong (like Mom--they remind me of each other in a lot of ways) and amazingly fun. Pam motivates me to be my best self. I want to be more giving, more selfless and more ambitious because of her.

Randy, Rachael and Patrick came back from Kete-Kratchi, where the Ghanaian children (21 of whom now reside at the Village of Hope) who are child slaves live and are forced to work. The pictures Randy took were so hard to see. Especially a photograph of a 3-year-old child slave working on a fishing boat, shivering, freezing, starving and sick. It was a horrifying image; though it was terrifying, I couldn't tear my eyes away from it. It totally caused a stirring in my heart, tugging on these emotional strings I'd forgotten I had. It made me want to jump out of my seat and rescue that little boy--and 1,000 others, too.

Amongst the former child slaves at the Village of Hope are Famous (who is always mischievously smiling--I never would have known), Mark (the poster child for the rescue missions; he was the first saved off of the lake), Ezekiel and Sakora. I hate thinking of them being forced to work. I can't picture it but then I can...and when I do imagine it, I want to trade lives with them so those sweet boys never had to experience that pain and brutality. I can't wait to hug them tomorrow, to let them know how special they are.

Our impromptu trip to Accra this afternoon/evening (to shop/accompany Emily to the airport/attempt to pick up Patrick's luggage) was a blessing in so many ways. I loved spending time with Pam, Tatum, Susan, Jill, Ivy, Emily and Justice. I loved further exploring the Ghanaian culture in the market. I loved recapping the night with Mom, Susan and Chantilly. As hard and challenging as this trip has sometimes been, I am in love with it.

Only two days left. I'm going to cherish every minute."

No comments: