:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Friday, May 1, 2009

Commencement.

I know, I know. I graduated a year ago and therefore have almost no right to still be pondering the topic twelve months after the event itself. Except that I do because today, as I sat working at Coffee Bean (loving their lattes and free wireless internet) in Malibu, watching families scurry around town in preparation for the graduation ceremony that will take place at Pepperdine tomorrow, the other term used in place of graduation dawned on me: Commencement.

COMMENCEMENT.

Root word of commencement: commence.

In the online version of Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, the definition of commence is twofold:






1) To have or make a beginning.
2) To take a degree at a university.

The way that these two entirely different definitions intertwine is so beautiful to me. One year ago, commencement only signified an end to me. An end to a beautiful four years spent at the most perfect college in the country, and probably the world (hey, I'm allowed to be biased in my own blog), an end to living with the best friends I'll ever know, an end to enjoying the Malibu coast on a daily basis, an end to impromptu frozen yogurt and Lily's burritos runs, an end to an era at 28300 Rey de Copas Lane...an end. It was an end and only an end.

In retrospect, it is so obvious to me that commencement, at its core, signified a beginning. No wonder it's listed first in the definitions in the dictionary; at its root, commencement is first and foremost a fresh start, a new perspective, a bright adventure.

The photos on this post illustrate the journey I embarked upon after commencement. Initially, I was a graduate, an emotional wreck who didn't desire change but felt at peace with the experiences that undoubtedly were in store in the future. Six months later, after numerous attempts at finding the right career, I landed the most fitting job with the Touch A Life Foundation, and was blessed with the opportunity to travel the world, love on the beautiful children pictured above, use my talents and pursue my passions. One year after graduation, as depicted in the third picture, I found balance, peace and pure, unadulterated happiness. I found me.

I don't doubt that former Roman military and political leader Julius Caesar knew what he was talking about when he said, "Veni, vidi, vici" (later translated to "I came, I saw, I conquered"). But, no offense, big guy, I think I found my own version of that statement:

I COMMENCED.
I saw.
I
conquered.

1 comment:

The Everyday Grace said...

This was amazing - you eased my nervousness about graduation. I love you and coffee bean and walks around country mart. xx