:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Thursday, October 9, 2008

George MacDonald.


In middle school, my fellow students and I had to collect a collaboration of poems and analyze them. As a teenager who loved reading and writing, this assignment was a perfect challenge for me. Interpreting poetry is so different from studying literature because it forces us to stretch our minds and comprehend concepts in a different light. Recently, as I was cleaning out my closet, I found the poems I had chosen to study. This one by George MacDonald struck me because the last line is so hopeful and powerful.

:: Sometimes a thunderbolt will shoot from a clear sky; and sometimes, into the midst of a peaceful family - without warning of gathered storm above or slightest tremble of earthquake beneath - will fall a terrible fact, and from that moment everything is changed. The air is thick with cloud, and cannot weep itself clear.

There may come a gorgeous sunset, though. ::

No comments: