:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The L.A. Song.

Dave Barnes is one of my favorite artists. His music is relaxing, calming and consistent. Some of his lyrics are worship-based while others are mere observations of the joys and pains of everyday life. "Brother, Bring the Sun" was the first album of Dave's that I got into, and the lyrics of every song hit home with me. "Your Love Will Never Change" spoke to me about Christ's unconditional love for us while "Until You" reminded me that it's when we are not looking for a relationship that we find one. "Grace's Amazing Hands" seems to be a metaphor describing the way Jesus extends his forgiveness to us, though we don't deserve it; "On a Night Like This" is a romantic ballad about falling in love.

One of my favorite songs is probably one of the least discussed/analyzed/appreciated on this album. It's called "The L.A. Song" and I think it speaks so powerfully to the fact that women deserve the best in relationships, and that they shouldn't settle for anything less.

This video is from a concert Hunter, Greg and I went to in June at the Roxy on Sunset Boulevard. The concert was fabulous; when performing live, Dave sounds just like he does on his albums. He slowed this version of "The L.A. Song" down a little bit, which I loved. Please ignore the creep-o yelling, "Yeah, Dave!" and "Play it pretty for L.A.! Woo!" in the background. He eventually had to publicly reprimanded for his obnoxious behavior.



Coming soon: A video of Dave's antics/storytelling from the concert. (If you can't tell, I sort of love him a whole lot.)

No comments: