:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Keep Bleedin'.


"Bleeding Love" (by Leona Lewis) just came on the radio at work and totally tugged on my heartstrings. Oddly, even though the song's lyrics are essentially about heartache, it's a song that for some reason represents my group of college friends and the few weeks that led up to graduation. I don't know who decided that this made sense (Carter? Brad?) but now whenever I hear that soulful jam, I am instantly brought back to our group's last days in Malibu, back to the memories we made and back to the amazing times we shared.
Isn't music incredible in that way? Songs will crop up out of nowhere and remind me of very specific times in my life. "Everything's Right" (Matt Wertz) takes me back to high school graduation. "Forever" (Chris Brown) will always remind me of Bethany and Ryan's wedding, as well as my fabulous summer of 2008 spent in Malibu. Anything Backstreet Boys, N*Sync or pre-insane Britney makes me reminisce about my middle school days. "Waiting Room" (Shane and Shane) is so indicative of my freshman year at Pepperdine, as is "Breathe" (Michelle Branch). "Stop This Train" (John Mayer) was my anthem during senior year; anything Postal Service reminds me of my semester in London in 2006, as does "Home" (Michael Buble). "Real Girl" (Mutya Buena) forms images of Rick Sky, Bang Showbiz and London Summer '07 in my head, while "Wouldn't it Be Nice" (Beach Boys) brings back memories of cruising down PCH to go Rollerblading in Venice during sophomore year.I could go on forever, really, but the point is that music has an ability that no other medium has to transport us from our current state into a different time in our lives. Music is almost like a time machine; when certain notes and lyrics strike our ears, we are taken back to a former place (good or bad) in our lives, and our memories are inexplicably linked to the tunes playing on our radios or iPods. Music is a universal langugage that has the power to overcome obstacles, unite different types of people and allow us to relive amazing memories.


Music is beautiful; it is essential to our existence and to the preservation of our favorite times in life. So, with that, just keep bleedin'. Keep, keep bleedin' love.

No comments: