:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Monday, December 8, 2008

Stuff White People Like.

This hilarious blog never ceases to entertain me. It lists a variety of things that, stereotypically, white people like. I find myself able to relate with 70% of the items on the list, and each entry is so well-written. All of the posts are riddled with intelligent, ironic humor. Overall, the site is incredibly entertaining and worthy of being read.

For now, here's the current list of objects that white people adore, including comments regarding things I, too, enjoy...but check back as the blog is updated frequently.

1) Coffee.
  • True. Starbucks. Coffee Bean. All of it.
2) Religions their parents don't belong to.
3) Film festivals.
4) Assists.
5) Farmer's markets.
  • The Wednesday market in Santa Monica can't be beat.
6) Organic food.
7) Diversity.
  • I worked for the Intercultural Affairs Office. Enough said.
8) Barack Obama.
9) Making you feel bad about not going outside.
  • Katie Van Buskirk's definition of my very essence.
10) Wes Anderson movies.
11) Asian girls.
  • Two words: Erin Chinen.
12) Non-profit organizations.
  • Beginning on January 5th, I will be employed by one.
13) Tea.
  • There's nothing better than a chai latte.
14) Having black friends.
  • Am I allowed to mention Darnell here?
15) Yoga.
  • DVDs and classes--I've partaken in both.
16) Gifted children.
  • I was enrolled in Fast Paced Language Arts as a child.
17) Hating their parents.
18) Awareness.
19) Traveling.
  • Duh.
20) Being an expert on your culture.
21) Writer's workshops.
22) Having two last names.
23) Microbreweries.
24) Wine.
  • Again, duh.
25) David Sedaris.
  • I own all of his books.
26) Manhattan (now Brooklyn, too!)
27) Marathons.
  • I ran one in Rome in 2006. I ran a half in Long Beach in October.
28) Not having a TV.
29) 80s night.
  • How many college parties revolved around this theme?
30) Wrigley Field.
  • As a Chicago native, clearly I love this place.
31) Snowboarding.
32) Vegan/vegetarianism.
  • I'm not quite a vegetarian, but I'm really close. No red meat for this kid.
33) Marijuana.
34) Architecture.
35) The Daily Show/The Colbert Report.
  • So, so funny.
36) Breakfast places.
  • I would rather go out for breakfast than for any other meal. Hands down.
37) Renovations.
38) Arrested Development.
  • Aside from Friends and The Office, one of the best television shows of all time. Gob on the segway gets me every time.
39) Netflix.
40) Apple products.
  • I have a MacBook, a Nano, a Shuffle and an iPhone. Is all of that really necessary?
41) Indie music.
  • Death Cab for Cutie, the Postal Service and Decemberadio are amongst my favorites.
42) Sushi.
  • Nobu is truly heaven on earth.
43) Plays.
  • I was enrolled in a theater class while abroad in London and all we did was attend plays and musicals.
44) Public radio.
45) Asian fusion food.
46) The Sunday New York Times.
47) Arts degrees.
48) Whole Foods and grocery co-ops.
  • At CMPR, we frequent Whole Foods on a daily basis to make our lunch selections.
49) Vintage.
  • The older, the better.
50) Irony.
51) Living by the water.
  • Malibu. Santa Monica. Naples. Clearly.
52) Sarah Silverman.
53) Dogs.
  • Obviously. I can't wait until I can have my very own black cocker spaniel and black French bulldog. They will be friends for sure.
54) Kitchen gadgets.
55) Apologies.
  • As a confrontational person by nature, I've learned the importance of apologies.
56) Lawyers.
57) Juno.
  • Amazing movie. Deserved more Oscar recognition than it received.
58) Japan.
59) Natural medicine.
60) Toyota Prius.
61) Bicycles.
  • See my previous post regarding my brand new beach cruiser.
62) Knowing what's best for poor people.
63) Expensive sandwiches.
  • I've definitely been willing to spend more than $8.00 on a sandwich, which is really insane, if you think about it. But, apparently, also really worth it.
64) Recycling.
  • Mom has taught me well in terms of recycling.
65) Co-ed sports.
66) Divorce.
67) Standing still at concerts.
68) Michel Gondry.
69) Mos Def.
70) Difficult breakups.
  • Baha! Unfortunately I can claim this one, too.
71) Being the only white person around.
72) Study abroad.
  • Lived, studied and interned in London...twice.
73) Gentrification.
74) Oscar parties.
75) Threatening to move to Canada.
76) Bottles of water.
77) Musical comedy.
  • Does Avenue Q count?
78) Multilingual children.
79) Modern furniture.
  • Love the types that come from everywhere, ranging from IKEA and Target to Anthropologie and Pottery Barn.
80) The idea of soccer.
81) Graduate school.
82) Hating corporations.
83) Bad memories of high school.
84) T-shirts.
  • American Apparel is my mecca.
85) The wire.
86) Shorts.
  • I own way too many pairs.
87) Outdoor performance clothes.
  • Couldn't live without North Face.
88) Having gay friends.
89) St. Patrick's Day.
90) Dinner parties.
  • One of my favorite things to do on a given night is to host/attend a dinner party.
91) San Francisco.
  • Couldn't visit Karli Meg, Becca and the boys there enough.
92) Book deals.
93) Music piracy.
94) Free healthcare.
95) Rugby.
96) New Balance shoes.
97) Scarves.
  • I think I own at least 20,000. And I'd like to own more.
98) The Ivy League.
99) Grammar.
  • I'm so anal about punctuation and correcting misspellings.
100) Bumper stickers.
101) Being offended.
102) Children's games as adults.
103) Sweaters.
104) Girls with bangs.
  • I definitely rocked the side bangs this summer/fall.
105) Unpaid internships.
  • I had three while in college: NBC, Bang Showbiz and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Entertainment Marketing Office.
106) Facebook.
  • Unfortunately, so true for me.
107) Self-aware hip hop references.
108) Appearing to enjoy classical music.
109) The Onion.
  • A hilarious online publication I love to read.
110) Frisbee sports.
111) Peacoats.
112) Hummus.
  • Delicious. A staple in my diet.
113) Halloween.
114) America.
115) Promising to learn a new language.

1 comment:

karlimegan said...

Brad got this book for Christmas, and Stevo read the entire "...being 'into' soccer" entry out loud. Hilarity.