:: current thought ::

:: our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. ::

henry david thoreau

Friday, March 6, 2009

Ghana's Independence Day.


I poached this post from an entry I made on the Touch A Life blog. But I couldn't really help myself because ever since I wrote this post, I haven't been able to stop thinking about the paradox of Ghana's Independence Day.

Today is Independence Day in Ghana. On March 6, 1957, the people of Ghana celebrated the end of colonial rule in their country. Many workers in Ghana have been given the day off to recognize and honor this important date.

This holiday, comparable to the American celebration of the Fourth of July, is exciting and noteworthy. But it is also a reminder that though the country is free of outside rule, independence and freedom are not exercised by all. Hundreds of children are still enslaved on Lake Volta, and they need our help to enjoy the independence that the rest of the Ghanaian citizens are celebrating on this very day.

No comments: